Fire Prevention Month
The American Red Cross says, on average there are 7 people killed a year and 36 people injured a day due to house fires. They also say that there is over $7 billion worth of damage every year due to house fires.
October is national Fire Prevention Month. There are many ways to prevent a fire in your home and becoming one of these statistics.
Ways you can prevent fires in your home
- Keep lighters and matches out of reach of children
- Clean the lint out of your dryer after every use
- Keep flammable materials away from heat sources
- Have your HVAC system tested regularly and repaired as needed
- Never leave appliances such as curling irons, ovens, or grills are running
- Never leave portable heaters, candles, fireplaces unattended
- Never use appliances or electronics with damaged electrical cords
Even with the best preventive measures in place it is best to prepare for a fire. There are several ways you can prepare you and your family for a fire emergency.
Ways you can prepare for a fire disaster
- Have fire detectors located in every bedroom, outside every sleeping area, and on every floor of the house
- Test fire detectors monthly
- Replace the batteries in fire detectors at least once a year
- Have at least two emergency escape routes
- Teach children the emergency escape routes
- Teach children how to dial 9-1-1 in case of an emergency
- Teach children how to stop, drop, and roll in case an article of clothing catches on fire
These are just a few ways to prevent and prepare for a fire emergency for more information contact the American Red Cross.
For any assistance with damage from a fire call SERVPRO of CHEYENNE at 307-514-9011.